Tuesday 17 August 2010

Temptations pt 1

The first 1/3rd of track three is about the trinity, i.e God.  The second 1/3rd is about the devil, or sin, or temptation.  Somewhere in the new testament three types of temptation are listed as The Lust Of The Flesh, The Lust of the Eyes, and the Pride of Life.

So section 1.3.2 is the lust of the flesh. It took quite a bit of thought to think this needed to be lust=raunchy music = Jazz.  What I really wanted was a saxophone. Sampled saxes always sound really rubbish, and I can't play a sax. It may seem strange but I have substituted kazoo (another purchase, £4 for a kazoo, accumulative album cost £35). It has the same kind of raspy sound to it, and anyway is an interesting substitution.

So there is a chorus and a verse, the chorus features the classic brass section of trumpet, trombone and kazoo.  There are three solos - trumpet, kazoo and piano.  Backing is walking bass, jazz guitar, piano and drums played with brushes.  Near the end this is joined by classical guitar and at the end the other instruments fade out leaving just the cheap classical guitar I am using.

My wife reckons some of the kazoo is out of tune.  I guess she's right, I need to have another go at it.



No comments:

Post a Comment