Thursday 12 August 2010

Many echoes

So this carries on where I left off.  I already had a nice wah-wahhed electric guitar solo for the latter bit, so all I needed to do was the bass, playing the same notes.  As I had made up the guitar solo as I went along it took a bit of work and practice recording the bass a phrase at a time.  Halfway through I decided that the second half should be different - so I changed tactic to slap bass (not following the solo any more) and put an echo on the guitar to fill out the sound

This is one of my favourite tactics to liven things up and fill out the sound, to take a solo line and give it a couple of slow echoes (placed nicely in stereo).  It's also quite a spacey feel which I felt was appropriate for this section.  

Anyway, when I listened back, it felt like there needed to be a bit more depth so I added a gentle bass being played normally.

The next bit, working backwards was the quiet "breakdown" section - I knew what I was going to do hear. I recorded myself speaking in tongues, and added reverb and echoes.

And then, going further backwards was the earlier section to which I added flute.  I felt the flute was OK, but didn't quite feel enough.  After some tweaking in the grid edit, I finally decided to try... adding the echo.  Because it was being played from the sampler instrument, this would automatically add the echo to the harp too.  I tried it, I liked it, I tweaked it, I liked it more.  I then worked on improving the transitions in and out of harp, changing the synth a little, adding guitar and bass drum notes at the end as a lead-in, but it was predominantly the echo which improved the transitions.  Huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment