Wednesday 5 January 2011

Welcome back

Log time no blog - which is because it's a long time since I indulged in some music recording.

I don't need excuses, I'm not doing this for anyone but me really. I do have reasons.

First there was Civilization V, then Eve online, then a whole load more games. Then there was a game-making project called "Goblins" (unfinished) and then Christmas.

Also I was starting to think a hiatus would be good, I was wary that I was losing enthusiasm slightly - feeling a little jaded. It's hard to maintain a high level of enthusiasm and self-belief continually. I'm back and I'm keen and I have an afternoon on my own. Hurrah.

I also have the Dire Rear and need to stay rather close to the bathroom. Too much information I know, sorry.

So job 1: have a listen through what's already been done. I'm doing that while I blog (who says men cannot multi-task?)

I have also noticed another problem: my website seems to be down, and is auto-redirecting to the domain registration website. This really needs to be fixed, just in case there are actually people who want to have a look. I admit I have been surprised that I have had exactly 0 visitors. The problem right now is, I cannot remember who was hosting it. Oh dear!

Anyway, back to the music, sounding good so far, listening through track 1. I need to remember I'm not in "critical mode" yet, there are a few things I think need changing, and I need to resist until I have finished everything on the first pass. The really good reason for this is not that I won't be able to criticise and change things properly, it's that once you get into critical mode it gets harder to be creative, and that's what I really need to be doing.

In the interregnum I have had a couple more ideas which have been burning in the pocket of my mind (so to speak) so yesterday I did quick prototypes of both of them. One is for the very last section (3.3.3) which I really want to be as strong as possible. The other is quite a heavy, rhythmic thing which hopefully will lend itself to one of the other sections. I'm aware it sounds quite familiar, there's a rock/rap song which has something like it, but I can never remember what the song is.

I also need to work out what I was up to - which was section 2.1.3 - cognition or the future. This is all about jazz, having the same tune at three different speeds. It's actually a tune I have used before, on the last album, and was originally a song I wrote back in the 1990s.

No comments:

Post a Comment