Tuesday 20 April 2010

The tricky transition

Back to the difficult section 1.1.2. The first part of this is flute and flute mellotron in a slow 5/4, with ethereal wind backing. Then there is a transition - I have a tune I want to use in the second half but it needs to go faster.

A quick word about this tune, it is based on a sequence of notes I sometimes humm while I walk, which in turn is based on the musical backing in the game Diablo - released quite a few years ago now. In the process they have got mangled probably beyond recognition (funny how these things go) It goes for flattened notes in a minor key, making it "more minor" in my head (actually diminished in at least one case). This sequence of notes has been strung out and added to to make four lines, the fourth of which has similarities to a line in a riff I hope to use later on, which reminds me of the Alan Parsons Project. It's actually a tune in 4/4 but the lines are 5 bars long, which means it will fit against a 5/4 rythmn.

Anyway, back to the transition, which has been worrying me. I break out of the sad fluetey stuff with with a vocal percussive sigh ".Aaaah" (the dot is a "glottal stop"). The problem was, what comes next. The more I tried things the more wrong they seemed, and something in the back of my musical sensibility was telling me it needed something fast and low. I brought in a piano, fast and low and menacing. So far it seems to work.

The piano goes half time when I bring in white nose sounds in a 5/4 rythmn - This is about the 3rd time I have attempted to get this sound, tuned noise, like air being forced through a pipe - only not very tuned. I used a softsynth called "V-station" which is just about simple enough for me to understand how to change, while sophisticated enough to have a white noise generator. I hope this time I have managed to actually save the settings because the previous time when In reloaded it defaulted back to the originalpreset. This time also it seemed to work in a musical sense, better than previously.

Bouyed on by the succes of the white noise I decided that after all I would bring in the hip-hoppy drums playing a variation on the Funky Drummer in 5/4 (the white noise is in 5/8 really). Spent a bit of time gettng the right sounds and then applied a phaser to the whole thing. Sweet. A few bars of that and then bring back the flute with the tune I was after. Hurrah, it seems to work and make sense, at least to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment