Sunday 18 July 2010

After the fire - a still small voice

As I went to bed last night after creating the loud cataclysm, I couldn't get it out of my head.  After a while, though I realised I had it in my head wrong - the rhythm was different.  Better somehow.  With an extra beat.

So of course today I had to see if it really was better.  I went through the whole thing adding an extra beat to the drums, and stabby bits of brass, in fact through most of it.  Actually I left one section unaltered for subtle contrast.

I had been wondering what to do for a still small voice, I was wondering about a mellotron backing with similarities to the air section in 1.1.2.  I also had a little tune in slow 7/4 I wanted to try.  Actually I wanted to get it recorded before I forgot it, and so used one of the sounds I had used for beefing out the orchestral stuff in the cataclysm. It turned out when used quietly and higher it was gentle and mysterious, so I used it.  Like many things I am not totally sure of it yet so I will let it marinade.

As I have been writing this though I have listened to it a couple of times and I'm pretty convinced right now that I have achieved the desired effect overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment